"I'll show you my fallacy if you show me yours" - argumentative fallacies

Graham Barnett

• 1 month later...

Great post Graham...too bad I couldn't get to it until now. :$

I'm going to rename this and make it a "post your favourite fallacy" kinda thing. This kind of thing is valuable whether you're a nerdy academic like me or not!

• Like 1

When a book and a head collide and a hollow sound is heard, must it always have come from the book? -- Lichtenberg

• 3 months later...

the Ad Hominem fallacy is pretty easy to understand (the personal attack) but I didn't know there were different kinds of ad hominem:

I particularly appreciate what is called "tone policing": which focuses on the emotion behind the expression and not the argument itself.  

if i had a nickel for every time i've seen this in action i'd lose my shit because i'd be so rich, but then people would tone-police me and wouldn't believe how rich i was. :wry:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 11:34 AM, stimmung79 said:

"tone policing": which focuses on the emotion behind the expression and not the argument itself.

Yeah, this makes me go off a bit.  It's very common for people to dismiss an argument just because it's passionate, as if the emotion necessarily and always compromises the rationale behind the argument.

When a book and a head collide and a hollow sound is heard, must it always have come from the book? -- Lichtenberg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 9:51 PM, stimmung79 said:

this reminds me of your "tone policiing"..as you say, just because someone argues poorly or argues with passion doesn't mean the argument is invalid.

It doesn't, but it really can get in the way sometimes!

We need to teach children how to think rather than what to think. – Margaret Mead

On 9/9/2017 at 7:19 PM, Gord Barentsen said:

I wonder if there's such a thing as a "You're Wrong Because You're Too Boring To Be Right" argument? :eyebrow:

I always thought it was the "put your opponents to sleep so no one disagrees with you" argument - i've had many a lecturer who uses that

'That's why they call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it.'  - George Carlin

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Please create an account or sign in to comment.

Only registered Members can post comments.

Create an account

Take a minute and sign up as a Member. Free and easy!

Become a Member

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In

Important Information

Hello guest! In using this site you agree to LiquidFractal's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy