What's New?
  • LiquidFractal is pleased to welcome our newest academic organisation - the Complex Processes Research Group at Swinburne University! Click HERE for more information.
  • This site is always evolving, and your opinion matters! Please post your thoughts and feedback in the Suggestions forum.
NotWithoutMyOntic

carl sagan...not an atheist??

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan

i thought this was hella interesting...there isn't enough conversation about the scientists out there who do not consider themselves atheists.  or what exactly atheism is anyway...

some choice quotes from this page:

Those who raise questions about the God hypothesis and the soul hypothesis are by no means all atheists. An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidenceagainst the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do to be sure that no such God exists. To be certain of the existence of God and to be certain of the nonexistence of God seem to me to be the confident extremes in a subject so riddled with doubt and uncertainty as to inspire very little confidence indeed.

An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very stupid.

I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. 

Please create an account or sign in to comment.

Only registered Members can post comments.

Create an account

Take a minute and sign up as a Member. Free and easy!

Become a Member

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In

Recent Forum Posts

Privacy Policy & Terms of Registration

All use of LiquidFractal's website and services, paid and/or unpaid, are subject to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Registration.

About LiquidFractal

LiquidFractal is an open-learning website proudly devoted to the cultivation of bright students, intelligent minds, and the fun and productive exchange of ideas to lead us collectively into the future.  Please click About for more information on the site's philosophy, goals and values, as well as answers to Frequently Asked Questions.  Click Professional Services, above, to learn about the services I offer.

LiquidFractal, ABN 14 381 107 723

Important Information

Hello guest! In using this site you implicitly agree to LiquidFractal's Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines.