"The Unhappiest One"

Just thought I'd throw out a cryptic little tidbit from Kierkegaard's Either/Or:

what prevents him being present in hope is memory, and what prevents him being present in memory is hope. [. . .] Consequently what he hopes for lies behind him, and what he remembers lies before him.  His life is not backwards but back-to-front in two directions. [. . .] His misfortune is that he has come to the world too soon and therefore constantly arriving too late.  He is forever quite close to the goal and the same moment at a distance form it. [. . .] His life has no meaning.[1]

Footnotes

1. ^ Kierkegaard, Either/Or, trans. Hannay (Penguin, 1992), 216-17.

When a book and a head collide and a hollow sound is heard, must it always have come from the book? -- Lichtenberg

• 1 year later...

That's amazing...I haven't tacked Either/Or yet but who is writing that exactly?  I mean in Either/or since Kierkegaard was a pseudonymous writer?

and why wouldn't memory instill hope? isn't that all we have for going forward into a future that we can't know?

• Interesting... 1

Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom. – Søren Kierkegaard

Please create an account or sign in to comment.

Only registered Members can post comments.

Create an account

Take a minute and sign up as a Member. Free and easy!

Become a Member

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In

Important Information

Hello guest! In using this site you agree to LiquidFractal's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy