Gord Barentsen

Jung's concept of the archetype

My apologies to everyone here - in attempting to hive off our discussion of the archetype as a separate forums topic I seem to have obliterated it.  F for FAIL for me :BangHead1:

Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to create a separate discussion topic for the concept of the archetype.  So, to recap briefly: @Graham Barnett was asking how it was possible to delineate archetypes if, as Jung says at some point, they all run into each other.  My pre-fail response was that I think Jung would say that, apropos of his later, more mature thinking on the archetype, that yes, they are hypotheses, but they also have some sort of foothold in what he at one point calls the "organic-material substrate."

This is to say that they are forces which have effects in the natural world, and in this phase of Jung's thinking his favourite analogy for the archetype is that of the "axial system" of a crystal growing in bittern.  Just as a crystal self-organises around a string or creates an axial system around which it structures symmetrical crystals in an orderly fashion, so the archetype has a propensity to repeat itself (i.e. its pattern of experience), so while they run together, as the theory goes there is some way to discern some sort of an energic "core" to an archetype.

Whether or not this can be "scientifically" measured is perhaps another matter entirely - does it depend on what we mean by "science"?

Again, my apolgies for the admin-fail!

LiquidFractal.space

LiquidFractal.space is home to supplementary apps to enhance your experience of the site (these will open in a new tab/window):
  • Chat
  • Quizzes

About LiquidFractal

LiquidFractal is a proudly nerdified, independently owned and operated website which is unaffiliated with any educational institution.  Aside from its existence as a professional teaching, learning, writing and research site, LiquidFractal is an online environment where our members negotiate cerebral issues, blood-boiling passionate debate, politically incorrect nonsense, breathtaking hilarity and the requisite minimum number of memes and funny cat pictures required to exist online in the 21st century.  Oh...and zombies.

Please click About for more information on the site's concept.  Click the Professional Services tab to learn more about what LiquidFractal can do for you!

LiquidFractal, ABN 14 381 107 723.

Contact

To contact the site owner about the website, or to inquire about tutoring, editing, research, or other professional services, please use the Contact link at the bottom of this page, or register/sign in and send a Private Message to Gord Barentsen. All correspondence is directly through this website; other methods (e.g., email, phone) must be arranged via PM.

Important Information

Hello guest! In using this site you implicitly agree to LiquidFractal's Terms of Use and Guidelines.