Kierkegaard on genius and desire (Either/Or)

"The poet wants his material; but wanting is no art, or rather,  it is a gift. It is what is inexplicable and mysterious about genius, just like the divining rod, to which it never occurs to want except in the presence of what it wants." (Either/Or, Hannay trans. p. 63)

Ok, so technically perhaps I shouldn't attribute this to SK, since so much of his work is pseudonymous, but SK is always in there somewhere!

• Like 1

When a book and a head collide and a hollow sound is heard, must it always have come from the book? -- Lichtenberg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2017 at 2:11 PM, Gord Barentsen said:

to which it never occurs to want except in the presence of what it wants

I think that is beautiful but I don't know if it's true of all genius or artists in general.  I think lots of art is made through not knowing what one wants and sort of an an endless searching to find it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 4:10 PM, Graham Barnett said:

I guess it means that genius is something organic, like a plant which only grows the way it was meant to grow?  So genius only wants what it is supposed to want?

But then how does it "know"?  isn't that just instinct?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the way i see it instinct is a pattern of behaviour, like the way a beaver knows how to build an efficient dam in a stream or lake.  but drive  is the motive force that, well, drives the beaver to perform this or that or the other instinctive pattern of behavior.

so a beaver can be driven to build a dam, to chew on a tree to fell it, to mate with another beaver etc., but those are all the patterns that mould the energy of the drive.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stimmung79 said:

Well the way i see it instinct is a pattern of behaviour, like the way a beaver knows how to build an efficient dam in a stream or lake.  but drive  is the motive force that, well, drives the beaver to perform this or that or the other instinctive pattern of behavior.

so a beaver can be driven to build a dam, to chew on a tree to fell it, to mate with another beaver etc., but those are all the patterns that mould the energy of the drive.

Makes sense to me.  But I think those patterns can mutate over time.  I remember when Katrina hit the southern US - there was this picture that went viral (ok, maybe slightly) about a frog sitting on the back of a snake swimming away from flooding.  i always remembered that because it teaches you that unpredictable events can happen which throw everything up in the air and make patterns adapt to new circumstances.

We need to teach children how to think rather than what to think. – Margaret Mead

• 4 weeks later...

@NotWithoutMyOntic Not sure if this is what you're after, but I found this:

and also this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1348600/Australian-floods-Snake-gives-frog-piggy-escape.html

When a book and a head collide and a hollow sound is heard, must it always have come from the book? -- Lichtenberg

Please create an account or sign in to comment.

Only registered Members can post comments.

Create an account

Take a minute and sign up as a Member. Free and easy!

Become a Member

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In

Important Information

Hello guest! In using this site you agree to LiquidFractal's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy