Van Gogh exhibit, NGV

Gord Barentsen

Hi all,

Anyone else able to make it to the van Gogh exhibit in Melbourne? I'm there as we speak!

I'd recommend it if you can get there, but Mother's Day isn't the best choice if dates :|. More soon!

When a book and a head collide and a hollow sound is heard, must it always have come from the book? -- Lichtenberg

Shortest review ever mate xD

I went with my gf last weekend (not my thing really but I was doing my duty). I though it was a little bit of overrated. You know I liked some of the prints in VVG's collection more than a few of his major pieces. 

But I don't really know about the whole art gallery thing in the end- it's the only way to see these works of art but the whole experience is a bit structured for my tastes

• Like 1

We need to teach children how to think rather than what to think. – Margaret Mead

49 minutes ago, NotWithoutMyOntic said:

But I don't really know about the whole art gallery thing in the end- it's the only way to see these works of art but the whole experience is a bit structured for my tastes

Lol!  I feel exactly the same way.  Not crazy about the environment of the art gallery or museum but how else does one get exposed to original works of art?

But that said, I have to confess that in most cases I don't really feel what Walter Benjamin called the "aura" of the original work of art when I go to galleries or museums.  When I saw the Mona Lisa in the Louvre years ago it was rather anticlimactic.  Maybe it was because it was something like 50 feet away behind a pane of glass (so that people couldn't get a good photograph of it?), and maybe because the mobs of tourists were jockeying for position to try and take pictures anyway, but I just didn't feel as if I were in the presence of "The Original," even though I know I was.

• Like 1

When a book and a head collide and a hollow sound is heard, must it always have come from the book? -- Lichtenberg

• 4 weeks later...

I've never seen the Mona Lisa but personally I don't mind museums at all - they are a bit of a haven from the usual idiocy of the everyday world.  I'm a bit disillusioned with the ROM of late but (if I could) I'd still rather go to a museum and see the same shit every day than sit down and watch north american TV every evening.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 8:08 AM, Gord Barentsen said:

But that said, I have to confess that in most cases I don't really feel what Walter Benjamin called the "aura" of the original work of art when I go to galleries or museums.

eh? :ConfusedGeek:

'That's why they call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it.'  - George Carlin

Please create an account or sign in to comment.

Only registered Members can post comments.

Create an account

Take a minute and sign up as a Member. Free and easy!

Become a Member

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In

Important Information

Hello guest! In using this site you agree to LiquidFractal's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy